Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Quote for the Day

This is the quote I wrote on the board today at the beginning of class:

"You cannot hope to sweep someone else away by the force of your writing until it has been done to you." ~Stephen King (On Writing)

It so eloquently states the entire reason I write. Because I've been "swept away" before, by authors, starting when I was a child and first fell in love with the written word. Now, as a writer, one of my main goals is to do for readers what's been done for me - I would love to sweep someone else away by my words. Let them fall in love with books, with the written word, just the way I did as a child and still do as an adult.

Sure, it's a lofty goal, and I'm not saying I'll ever achieve it. But I agree with Mr. King - you can't sweep someone else away until you've been swept away, yourself. I love the coming-full-circle of that statement. Delicious, isn't it?

4 comments:

  1. Excellent quote... delicious indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is also my dream...to have someone fall in love with my words and be swept away. Mr. King is so very right. If you don't love it, who will?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great quote, I so agree with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely! When I think of the books I've read that beckon me to read them again...this is an example of that quote.

    ReplyDelete