Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Music of Words

Here's a great quote I just received from a former student:

To me the greatest pleasure of writing is not what it's about, but the music the words make. ~Truman Capote

I so agree. I'm constantly telling my students to read their work (whether a formal essay, poem, or short story) ALOUD, not only to catch awkward wording or choppiness, but also so they can hear the language, the music inside the language -- the rhythm, the beat, the "melody."

I admit it -- sometimes, I just love language for language's sake. Have you ever read a sentence or passage from a book and read it over again, just because that particular combination of words sounded almost melodious?

May we never forget to enjoy the music in our language!!

No comments:

Post a Comment