Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Zone

The other day, I watched Huey Lewis being interviewed on a talk show. I'm a Child of the 80's, so I loved hearing him talk about music, about his band. Interestingly, something he said made me think about the writing process.

He said that sometimes, when he gets on stage with his band - when they start playing and they're really into the music and they look at each other for a second and they're all in tune, in rhythm - he said that sometimes, in that moment, the music just plays itself. Like magic.

And so many times, I'll discuss with my Creative Writing students about "The Zone." That rare place in the writing process when you're completely oblivious to anything else - even to your own hands dancing across the keyboard. You're THERE. In another place, another dimension. And the scene seems to write itself. The characters take over, do what they want, say what they want.

That's where the magic happens, I think, no matter what the art form - writing, photography, music, painting. And, if we're honest with ourselves, I think that we write, in great part, for that zone. Toward it. In hopes of experiencing it, tapping into it. It's the sweet spot, the lightning in a bottle. The moment we're transported from where we are to somewhere else.

No, we can't force it - and the harder we try, the faster it scurries away. But, when it does occur, to quote Huey Lewis again, "There's nothing else in the world like it." Couldn't agree more!

1 comment:

  1. Completely agree! I love those moments and they are the moments I crave when I'm writing. There's definitely nothing like it :-)

    ReplyDelete