Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Brilliant Post

I love Nathan Bransford's blog -- it's so insightful, so spot on. And he always manages to make me think. To make me look at something in a new way.

He's done it again with a recent post -- here's the link to his brilliant thoughts on "Reversals."

Sure, I've always known that we, as authors, must throw obstacles in our protagonist's way, must present challenges and problems for them -- or else we have no plot. No drama, no tension. But I'd never looked at that process in this particular way before (as "reversals" - essentially, creating highs and lows, ups and downs, backs and forths that keep the reader interested).

I adore the Star Wars example he gives. Again, he made me look at that movie (the plot) in a completely different way.

So, thank you, Mr. Bransford!

No comments:

Post a Comment