Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Pat Yourself on the Back

This past summer, I've had my head down, working HARD on a new book, on trying to find an agent, and on re-writes. I get so busy that sometimes, I forget why I'm doing all this. I forget to step back and SEE what I've accomplished. To look at the bigger picture.

So, here it is:

A novel. Three total, actually (a series). 1,000+ pages. Wow. Pretty cool.

I just think it's important that sometimes, we writers step away from our writing and take time to LOOK at it, from the outside. To see our own accomplishments - whether published or not. To realize that we were brave enough to spend time putting our thoughts, our convictions, on paper for others to see.

That, in itself, is worth a big ole pat on the back, I'd say. Because how many people have you come across, who said something like, "I've always wanted to write." But, they never did. So, if you're one of those who DID, I think you deserve a round of applause.

So today, list your accomplishments. See them in black-and-white. Even if it's just one article, or two poems, or the first half of a novel. Because even if you've attempted it, you're miles ahead of so many people who say to themselves, "Someday..."

1 comment:

  1. Right now I fall into the 'someday' category of writers. You deserve that pat on the back....quite a lot of writing you've accomplished.

    ReplyDelete