Saturday, August 28, 2010

Book I'm Reading...


"House in Riverton" by Kate Morton

I always tell my Creative Writing students how closely reading and writing are connected. How it's vital for writers to read GOOD material - both to study the craft, and to recognize what good writing looks like.

Anyway, just thought I'd pass along this title, one I'm reading now. I'm about 30 pages in, and I really like it. It's from an Australian author, and the synopsis sounds intriguing (from Borders.com):


"...set in England between the two World Wars - the story of an aristocratic family, a mysterious death, and a vanishing way of life is told in flashback by a woman who witnessed it all and kept secrets for more than 50 years."

And, I'm happy to report that the writing quality - the descriptions, the sentence structure, the suspenseful vibe - is very high. I only wish I had time to sit down and read it in a couple of afternoons! For now, I'll have to settle for a few pages at night, before bed...

I'd love to know what YOU're reading now, what's currently inspiring you, as both a reader and a writer. Drop me a book title in the comments, if you want...

1 comment:

  1. I agree. We only get better when we're exposed to good writing. But what about bad writing. I think it's important to see that too. It's subjective of course, but good examples of bad writing can often be found on the bargain table at most bookstores.

    I'm reading Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, by John Berendt, and The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. See my blog.

    ReplyDelete