Sunday, September 13, 2009

A Not-Quite Rejection!

I opened an email from an agent this morning who'd requested my entire manuscript (I write women's fiction). She gave lots of feedback, said she enjoyed the book, but that she wasn't certain it had a strong enough "hook." I know exactly what she means -- the publishing business is soooo competitive, and in order to sell a book, it must stand out, be unique. It sounds like I'm close, but not quite "there," yet.

The good news is, she said that if I'm willing to consider revisions, she'd be glad to take another look at the manuscript!

Willing?? Absolutely!!

Nervous?? Absolutely. Because the pressure is immense. Realistically, this could very well be a make-or-break situation. A getting-an-agent or not-getting-an-agent situation. What if she doesn't like my new ideas? What if I'm still "close," but not close enough? What if she sees the revision and decides it's a definite, "NO?" These are the thoughts running through my head. But I mustn't let them cripple me, stop me from trying.

So, with that, I've got lots of work ahead of me. I'd better get busy! Signing off for now...

6 comments:

  1. You're absolutely right in giving it another try! Don't lose sight of the fact that you are a great writer....good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the revision request. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! I'm currently editing my novel as well for an agent who requested a full. The way I see it - even if it's a no, they were interested in the first place and gave feedback which is fantastic. Hopefully you'l get a big YES though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, y'all! I'm working really hard on the changes right now - it's exhausting, especially when I have about 90 essays to grade this week. Ugh.

    Good luck to Elle, as well! I agree with your attitude - I find myself vascilating between excitement and discouragement (because there's no guarantee my revisions will get me an agent). The cool thing is, even though I'm revising "for" this agent, I've ended up loving the new ideas, myself. I think it's making for a better book, which is always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck. You won't be any worse off if she passes, but at least your getting feedback. I can't wait for the day someone says, "I like your work but..."

    By the way, I just started my own blog this week and have no idea where it's going either. You gave me some inspiration today though. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Matt - I agree with what you said. The agent's feedback has been invaluable so far. I only hope I can 'get it right.'

    I like your blog! It's neat, the way we get inspired. My inspiration was from a couple of friends who blogged. That, and the movie "Julie and Julia" (where the main character blogged her way through 500+recipes).

    ReplyDelete