Sunday, June 12, 2011

Back to the Drawing Board

I'm excited to be working on a new novel this summer. I'd started it last summer, and have been reading through it the past couple of weeks, making changes, editing, etc.

I thought I was going down the right path with the characters and storyline choices, but my mom (who is such a great help) has read the pages and pointed out a couple of things that don't ring true. And as much as I don't want to go back and revise it, I realized she's right. The story lacks a punch, and it needs to ring with more truth. Changes need to be made. Ugh.

So, back to the drawing board. The good news is that, since I've opened up my mind and agreed that the story needs changes, I've had a burst of new ideas. And I'm actually excited about them. Looking at the book through new eyes has rejuvenated me. I think that's the key -- once you realize something isn't working, be brave enough to accept it and try something else. Sometimes, many times, the new version is so much better than the original. And even though you feel like you've "wasted" all those hours on the old version, they really weren't wasted. Because they led you to create an even better story.

Anyway, I'm now rethinking everything -- making decisions about what scenes can stay, and what scenes can't. What helps is realizing that, in the end, it's not about me. It's not about those hours I spent on a version that will never see the light of day (frustrating, yes. But necessary). It's all about the book. Making it the best book it can be, even if that means some major revisions. Whatever it takes! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment