Monday, January 4, 2010

First Loves

Do you remember your first love? I'm talking books here, not people. I recall mine vividly. I had enjoyed books before this one, but not LOVED them. My first love was Emily of New Moon, by L. M. Montgomery (author of the Anne of Green Gables series).


Emily was a WRITER. She made notes in journals and observed nature and life and people. At about age 10, I immediately connected to that, without yet knowing I wanted to BE a writer someday. I also loved the descriptions. I remember reading the same sentence more than once, examining the individual words, picturing the imagery in my mind. From what I recall, Emily was serious-minded. Not silly and playful like many characters in children's books, but melancholy and thoughtful. Much like me, as a child.

Powerful stuff, children's books. In fact, I'm tempted to go back and read the New Moon series now, revisit those beloved books and see what they hold for me as an adult. *edit - Done. Just ordered the paperbacks. :-)

Questions: What book was your first love? What do you remember about it, and looking back as an adult, why do you think it affected you the way it did?

2 comments:

  1. My first love book-wise would probably have been a collection of children's poems edited by Louis Untermeyer, or one of Lois Lenski's Small Family books...I have a visceral reaction, still, whenever I look at a Lenski book or drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a young child, my favorite was Little Red Riding Hood...and I recall my Mom sewing a red cape for me. Later on I enjoyed fairy tales....with plots that took me away to a land of kings, queens, castles, and beautiful costume, such as in 'The Twelve Dancing Princesses'.

    ReplyDelete