Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year!

So, 2012 is officially underway, and people are talking about goals and resolutions...

I'm not a huge fan of resolutions. I think they place unnecessary guilt trips on us, for the things we'll never accomplish. Still, though, it's good to look at a new year as an opportunity -- to look at our lives and make changes, or to accept the things that won't change.

In terms of writing, it's also a good idea to set realistic goals for the new year. To have a plan, create a structure for these coming months. I'm the type who has to have a plan.

So, here it is -- my writing goals for 2012:

* Finish editing a novel I wrote a couple of years ago (which has been edited at least four other times, but this time through, it's a careful, tedious "polish until it shines" edit). I've already been working through the Christmas holidays on it, and plan to finish the edits by next week (my last week of vacation before faculty meetings start).

* Edit my most recent novel during the spring semester--in between grading and teaching and attending meetings...

* Finish a novel that I'd started last summer, during this coming summer. It's do-able - I have a good head start and have mapped out the plot, etc.

After that? Who knows. I've always toyed with the idea of creating a sort of "Anne of Green Gables" type series, which would be a departure for me (since I write adult women's fiction).

But at least I have a solid plan for most of this year. I always have plenty to do, it seems. And, if I don't meet those specific goals, it's fine. I'll just do the best I can.

So, what are your writing goals for 2012? I'd love to hear about them...

No comments:

Post a Comment