Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Chipping Away

So, I was editing a scene yesterday and my gut told me it wasn't quite "there" yet. But I was feeling lazy and ignored the voice and kept reading.

But it bothered me enough today to take a second look. So, I decided to spend time working on two pages that just needed....work. They needed time and care and tweaking. I didn't change anything in a major way--in fact, I was simply tightening phrases or removing words that didn't belong. Nothing earth-shattering. But now that I read over those pages again, things are smoother, better.

Chipping away at your novel can be tedious, even pain-staking. But if you keep listening to your gut, that inner editor, all that chipping can result in a better piece of work. It's worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment