Sunday, December 9, 2012

The Jesus Painter

I rarely post about religious matters on this blog, mostly because this is a writing blog, and I try to focus on the writing.  But, this is also a blog dedicated to all forms of artistry -- writing, music, painting.  And so, I had to share this today.

My church holds this huge Christmas extravaganza each year, and it's always amazing.  Well, this year, they opted for something a little....different.  At the end of the concert, the house lights went down, and a single spotlight shone on a HUGE white canvas.  A guy showed up -- disheveled, wearing a paint-stained shirt -- and started to paint.  As he did, the choir sang.  And for the next 4 minutes, we watched him complete his masterpiece.  I'll never forget it as long as I live.

We all stood to our feet when he had finished.  Yes, because his incredible talents deserved applause.  But also because, in those 4 minutes, he'd reminded us of exactly why we were there to worship, to sing, to celebrate.  It was Jesus.

I found his video online.



4 comments:

  1. We had a guy do something like that in my church when I was a teenager.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool, Andrew. I'd never seen anything like this, not "live," at least. And, it was unexpected mostly because this was an all-singing program and we had no idea what he was doing at first. There was no introduction of him at all. He was just so unassuming, and it's like we were just watching him over his shoulder in this intimate way as he painted. Really incredible experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember it being pretty cool when we did it. There was no music involved, though. The guy was telling some story while he sketched, if I remember correctly. Seemingly unrelated. The sketch he did hung in the youth room for a long time. I'm not sure what ended up happening to it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was lucky - I attended the first service this morning, and afterward, they left the canvas out for people to take pictures (can't BELIEVE I didn't have my phone!). But people streaming in for the second service SAW the canvas sitting there, so they knew exactly what the end result was! The surprise factor was totally lost on them....

    ReplyDelete