Friday, September 28, 2012

Teaching the Teacher

Just because I'm a Creative Writing teacher certainly doesn't mean I know it all, that I've stopped learning, that I'm unteachable.  In fact, quite the opposite.  I'm learning new things--about the process, about myself as a writer, about the craft--all the time.  As a teacher, I see my main roles as informing students of what I've been taught along the way, encouraging/inspiring them, and facilitating activities and exercises and assignments that will jump start their creativity.  I think of myself more as a coach than teacher.

Well, tonight, while watching "On Story" (a PBS program in which various filmmakers/screenwriters discuss the art and craft of writing and filmmaking), I was TAUGHT.  I listened to screenwriter Shane Black give some fascinating gems about the process, and I learned things I thought I knew, but in a totally new way.  Very inspiring.  Wanted to share...

Link to video here

Bio of Shane Black:  Thriller master writer/director Shane Black (KISS KISS BANG BANG, LETHAL WEAPON) discusses the critical elements of a taut, suspense-filled movie – raising stakes, unexpected reversals, and satisfying payoffs – using examples from such classics as ROCKY, THE LONG KISS GOODNIGHT, and LA FEMME NIKITA. Followed by the apocalyptic short film Blind Spot by writer/director Matthew Nayman.

No comments:

Post a Comment